I started the Couch to 5 K program back in August. By October, I was only 3 weeks into in the program. I then quit the program to try the Willy-Nilly Jogging program. While I’m stronger than I was in August, I’ve lost a lot of gains.
My mission, should I choose to accept it, is to begin the program again, follow through, and still get my grading done. Here’s my game plan:
- Jog three times a week–Tuesday evening, Thursday evening, and on Saturday.
- Write a brief blog post after each workout for some accountability, noting my pre and post workout blood sugars.
I’m a firm believer in rewards. I know I should be motivated to follow through just by the health benefits I’ll receive, but sometimes stuff is more motivating. In addition to the accountability of blogging, I plan to keep myself on track my setting short term goals and rewarding myself for meeting them. These rewards will be something that I will use while exercising, giving myself further motivation to stick with it. My reward for starting is a much needed pair of athletic earbuds:
Here’s my first short-term goal:
- Finish the first week on schedule.
- Reward will be a new exercise shirt. A cute one.
Pre-workout blood sugar: 131 mg/dl
The workout: 4 minutes warm up, alternate 1 minute jogging and 1:30 brisk walking, and 5 minutes cool down. 30 minutes total.
Post-workout blood sugar: 68 mg/dl
- I can tell I’m stronger than I was when I first started this program back in August. I felt invigorated when I finished rather than tired.
- I decided to buy the earbuds while jogging. The standard Apple earbuds are really, really, really annoying while jogging.
- I’m hungry.
- I need to start grading….